Rep. Chaka Fattah:
On Jan. 3, 2013, I was sworn in to begin my tenth term representing Pennsylvania’s Second Congressional District. Many of you are new constituents, and I welcome you to this redrawn and diverse District that covers many neighborhoods in Philadelphia as well as Lower Merion and Narberth in Montgomery County.
I am tremendously honored that you have chosen to elect me as your Representative in Washington. I will continue to introduce and vote on legislation that not only reflects your interests but is good for our country as a whole.
Locally, my District office at 2401 N. 54th St. in Philadelphia’s Wynnefield neighborhood is staffed to provide you with excellent constituent services.
As I have over the last 18 years, I will continue in the 113th Congress to pursue an aggressive legislative agenda. I have already introduced legislation that seeks to ensure America will meet its financial obligations and not default on its debt.
Additionally, I will continue my work on:
• the Fattah Neuroscience Initiative to promote research and discovery across brain cognition, development, disease and injury;
• legislation to make co-ops a national priority and to provide federal resources to support the effort;
• support for manufacturing innovation;
• expansion of GEAR UP – Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs — the nation’s most successful early college awareness program for low income students which has served over 12 million students in 49 states, from grades 6 to 12; and
• significantly improving the quality of life for the nation’s young people through support and expansion of youth mentoring programs.
As Vice Chair of the new Gun Violence Prevention Task Force I will be working with my colleagues to keep America safe through sensible gun regulation.
I will also serve as Co-Chair of the newly formed House Science and National Labs Caucus and continue my duties as Co-Chair of the Congressional Urban Caucus.
“During the 113th Congress, I will continue to serve on the House Appropriations Committee. I am the Senior Democrat on the Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science and related agencies, and also serve on the Subcommittee for Energy and Water Development.
I am proud and honored to serve the 705,688 residents of the Second Congressional District. Know that I will work diligently every day on your behalf and will be reachable and responsible to you.”